The pictures for this post were taken on a Mac, but the steps are very similar on a Windows computer.
To Create Footnotes:
1. Never manually type in a number or lines for footnotes. They need to be created by Word so that they auto format correctly.
2. Find an area of text that your footnote number should be placed. Click and put your cursor on the spot.
3. Next, click “Insert” along the very top bar of your Mac, then click “Insert Footnote” Make sure the settings are set to Footnote: Bottom of page, Number format 1,2,3, … Continuous… Apply changes to whole document. Just like the picture below shows.
You can also go to the "References" tab on both Windows and Mac and click on Insert Footnote button. Clicking the Insert Footnotes button on the reference tab will skip the settings window and immediately add a footnote number.
4. A number should be added to the bottom of the page under a line. This is where you will then type the actual footnote.
5. Repeat for all footnotes in your document. If you go back later and add new footnotes in the middle of your document the numbers will automatically update.