We know images add a lot to our design in Canvas. Here are some guidelines for handling images in the new editor. The key take home here is that once an image is embedded in the page, you can click on it to get the Image Options context menu for more options.
- Place your cursor in the editor where you want your image to be embedded
- Click on the more options carat next to the image icon in the toolbar
If the image is not currently in your course files:
- Choose Upload Image
- Choose the Computer tab if not selected
- Drag and Drop file into the Upload area or click in the Upload area to browse your machine for the file and select it
- Provide some Alt Text for the image (this is the text that screen readers will read aloud)
- Choose the Embed Image display option
- Click Submit.
Course or User Images
If the image is already in your course or user files:
- Choose Course Images (Students will select User Images)
- Search or Browse for your image in the content pane that appears at the right and select it
Finalizing the Image Embed
- Once the image is embedded, click on it in the editor, this will bring up an Image Options context menu
- Click on Image Options
- Make sure the Alt text would make sense to a screen reader
- Adjust the size of your image using the size dropdown or setting your own height and width.
- Click Done.
- Click Save to save your changes.
Other Image Embed Options
In the Upload Image option, you can also search for licensed images related to a term or phrase from Unsplash or you can embed an image from a web URL if you have that. Just choose the Unsplash or URL tab in the Upload Image window instead of Computer.