Who should use the Writing Center?
- All students who are new to the expectations of graduate level inquiry, research, and academic writing.
- All multilingual writers who are seeking to expand their understanding of American rhetorical conventions and the English language.
- Anyone who wants to improve their writing skills or simply have a second set of eyes on their work!
How can I make an appointment with the Writing Center?
You can make an appointment with Dr. Jaime Myers, the Director of the Writing Center, here.
Where do I submit my work?
Please submit your work along with a copy of your assignment (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How long before an assignment is due should I make my appointment with the Writing Center?
This depends on many factors including the length of the assignment, the condition of your draft when you submit it, your personal work habits, how busy your schedule is, etc. For a 1-5 page paper, I would recommend leaving yourself at least four-to-eight hours of dedicated time to revise your work after our review meeting. For a 6-10 page paper, I would recommend doubling that.
How far in advance do I need to send my work for it to be reviewed?
For up to 5 pages of writing (double-spaced): Please send work that you wish to be reviewed, plus a copy of your assignment (if applicable), a full 24 hours in advance of the meeting that you schedule.
For 6-10 pages of writing (double-spaced): Please send work that you wish to be reviewed, plus a copy of your assignment (if applicable), a full 48 hours in advance of the meeting that you schedule.
The Writing Center is not available and does not check email on the weekends; work to be reviewed on Monday must be submitted by Friday.
What should I bring with me to my appointment?
- a copy of the work you submitted
- a copy of the assignment (if applicable)
- any notes or other drafts of the assignment that might be relevant
- a list of specific questions (if you have any)
How many appointments can I make with the Writing Center per week?
Students may schedule up to one appointment per week.
How many pages of writing can I submit to the Writing Center per week?
Students may submit up to 10 pages (double-spaced) of writing total per week.
What happens if I am late or I miss my appointment?
Please try to be on-time for your appointment. If you are more than 10 minutes late to your appointment, you will need to reschedule, as we will not have enough time to adequately discuss your work. Appointments book up so please note that if you miss yours, you may not be able to reschedule until after the assignment is due.